Tuesday, 22 November 2016

My Experience with Oily Skin & How to Manage It Better


Hello everyone. 
I'm writing this post particularly for those of you, who like myself, have really oily skin. My skin and the satanic sebum it produces, really interferes with my life and aggravates my existing mental health problems. I feel increasingly afraid to go out for long periods of time because if I don't powder or blot my skin at least every 2-3 hours, I start looking very greasy and my makeup will practically slide off of my face. Sometimes it can do that within an hour too. It's gotten to the point where I've become so self-conscious about it, I start isolating myself. It's really difficult to manage my existing anxiety about being in public places on top of being terrified about how greasy and disgusting I must look to people. People think I'm really vain/rude when I randomly start powdering my face in public, however they don't realise that I'm only doing it because I want to save them from also putting up with the shine, not because I want to "look pretty".


I have had this problem with oily skin for the past few years and it's been more noticeable since wearing makeup to a greater extent and being more interested in beauty products. I never used to know about skin types, skin care routines or even suitable makeup products for certain skin 'kinds' until YouTube. I am now thankful that I have further knowledge about my skin and how to look after it, because no matter what people say, taking proper care of your skin is actually very important. Our skin is our body's largest organ. Don't worry, this blog post isn't about preaching the benefits of a skin care routine or promoting products (although I will mention products I have discovered to make a slight (emphasis on slight), positive difference). Instead I'd like to share with you some tips that I have been implementing recently, that I have found quite beneficial for oily skin. 

1. ALWAYS prime your face if you are going to wear foundation. There are quite a few primers out there designed specifically for oily skin, however recently, I have been finding the Soap & Glory 'One Heck of a Blot' primer to be a little more effective than others I've tried. It doesn't work wonders, so don't be expecting it to kill your shine, but I do think it helps increase the longevity of your makeup! I have found that this in combination with the 'Nivea Men Post Shave Balm' works quite well, especially as the balm is tacky, which means your makeup stays on your face longer. I do think the shave balm can give quite a dewy finish on its own, so make sure you pair it with a primer designed more for skin on the oily side. All in all, I find that primers can sort of 'get used' to my skin and stop being effective over time, so mixing it up and using different primers can be helpful. 

2. Foundation type. I avoid using hydrating foundations or those that are designed to give you a dewy finish, because I don't need any extra shine on my face. Sometimes I don't even wear highlighter because I manage to achieve a natural sheen all on my own. The foundation you choose doesn't necessarily need to have a 'matte' finish. It's more important to invest in foundations that are specifically designed for combination to oily skin. The 'Revlon Color Stay' and 'L'oreal Paris Infallible Matte' are good everyday, drugstore foundations to try. If you want a slightly heavier foundation with more coverage, that is more pricey and high end, the 'Estée Lauder Double Wear' foundation is quite good for oily skin too. I find that the latter foundation can sometimes cling to dry patches though, so perhaps just moisturise areas where you are more prone to dryness before using this one.

3. POWDER. Always set your makeup with a powder so you can stay matte for that tiny bit longer and to help preserve your makeup. I like the Rimmel Stay Matte powder, although I find that for the many touch ups I have to do throughout the day, this can start to look very cakey and overly block my pores. Recently I have been using the Soap and Glory 'One Heck of a Blot' powder and I much prefer this one for touch ups throughout the day because it's more finely milled and gets less caked up on my face. I'm yet to try the Laura Mercier Setting Powder, and I'm aware that this product is A LOT more expensive than the other two aforementioned, but I always hear such good reviews about it. If any of you have tried it/use it, could you let me know if it is really as amazing as people say it is? In general, powder is just an essential for me and I never leave the house without it. 

4. Setting Spray and Blotting Papers. I don't think setting spray makes so much of a difference at combatting my shine, but it definitely does prevent my makeup from sliding off of my face. A few months ago I finally caved and purchased the Urban Decay 'All Nighter Setting Spray' after testing a few other drugstore setting sprays, which in all honesty, didn't seem to do an awful lot. However, the Urban Decay one really does help keep my makeup on longer and it has now become a habit for me to finish off my makeup with a quick spritz! Blotting papers are also a new purchase and one that now I cannot simply live without. I find these the most helpful for when I'm out and can access a bathroom (I don't have the guts to use them in public). For some reason, I just didn't think blotting papers would help with my skin and I often perceived them as being quite 'gimmicky'. Oh Lord was I wrong. I can't leave the house without them being packed in my bag and they are so effective at removing excess sebum off of your face. I think this is a lot healthier for your skin too, as you are actively removing the oil, instead of just powdering on top of the oil and further blocking your pores. I use the Boots 'Skin Clear' Blotting Papers that come in a handy little pack, but I think any blotting paper brand will do. I chose the Boots ones though as they don't take off your makeup and they are far more affordable than some ridiculously priced blotting papers from other brands. If you haven't tried blotting, I'd definitely recommend trying it out! 

5. Skin Care - obviously. I'm not going to drone on about exfoliator this, face wash that, as there are copious blog posts and articles online about why you should have a skin care regime etc. Nonetheless, a few products I have been using lately that have helped are: The Body Shop Seaweed Range (specifically the Exfoliator, Face wash, Toner and Oil Control Over Night Gel) and more recently, the Good Things 'Deep Clean Blackhead Exfoliator' (this product smells incredible!). I don't overly wash my skin every day and try not to use products that will dry my skin out, as this will just encourage your skin to produce more oil. However, I do wash my face with an exfoliator or wash at least once a day and aim for a full skin care/pamper evening once a week. The full pamper will usually involve a mask that targets blackheads/blemishes. Moreover, I always take my makeup off using the Garnier Micellar Water, as leaving foundation or other face products on all night while you sleep to block your pores is not good! Also, pore strips for your nose to remove any blackheads are so handy to do once, twice or even three times a week. I have found that the Bioré, specifically the 'Deep Cleansing Pore Strips', work really effectively at removing blackheads you didn't even know you had! They aren't too expensive, although they are still quite pricey. 

6. Try not to touch your face. I find this one extremely difficult when I'm holding my head in my hands in the middle of a soul destroying lecture, but hey! I thought I'd remind you anyway :)

So, these are just a few of my (non-expert) tips on how I've been managing my oily skin lately. You can't change the fact that you have oily skin, however there are methods of management you can implement to make it a little easier to live with. I'd be grateful to know if any of you have found this helpful. More importantly, if you have any tips that you can share with me, I'd be eternally appreciative. My social media's are always open, or you can leave them in the comments below for other people to see too. I'm not a skin care expert, just someone who has had a lot of experience in trying different products! 

Take Care, Emma x

 ♡ Twitter ♡
♡ Instagram 
♡ YouTube 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig